For a solid decade I have carried with me a little item that was oh so useful and quite special to me.
Last week my little family and I flew to Atlanta for a visit with friends and family. I have flown quite a bit over the years and considered myself quite a proficient traveler. This past trip, while it was another successful one, felt somewhat like my first flight because I had my infant in my arms. A hundred different things to remember, extra items to carry, many more smiles from strangers, and even a mid flight diaper change! My baby did great! The only glitch was that amidst all the new little things for a first time mom to remember, I forgot to remove my pocket knife from my key chain. When airport security removed the well used pocket knife and chucked it into the garbage can, I didn't have the time for a proper eulogy. So, at this time I would like to say a few words about my old friend....
Ten years
in my pocket, in my purse, jingling next to my keys.
Royal blue plastic casing.
One side with the Swiss Army logo
the other side said, "AMGEN 2000".
An employee tchotchke given to me by my Dad after a company meeting.
The scisors lost it's spring and the knife was dull.
The tweesers and tooth pick long since fallen out.
Such a useful and handy companion.
I am glad have kept track of you all these years.
But now it is time for you to join all the other pocket knives
in lost and founds and airport security bins around the world.
Good bye old friend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
sniff sniff oh good bye old friend.... Dad will love this post!!
Jana that happened to me! I had a mini green swiss army knife confiscated a few years ago but they didn't toss it. I was able to get them to mail it back to my apartment (I paid of course). Next time, ask about that if you're not in a rush to your gate.
Yes, they did say I could mail it to myself but I wasn't sure that it was worth the time and roughly $10. I'm sentimental yet cruel!
Post a Comment